Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lost and Found

After a wonderful day in Gettysburg we headed east towards Red Lion, PA, to find Family Heirloom Weavers, which I'd seen advertised in a magazine and always wanted to visit.

We got lost along the way but eventually found the shop and it was definitely worth it! An old 3-story stone house at the end of a country road, and every floor filled with woven blankets, coverlets, pillows, tablerunners, you name it! Here's the entrance to the house:
And some pictures of the rooms:

The company has also made woven items for several presidents and for the movie "Cold Mountain"!
Then it was off to Lancaster and the Primitives by Kathy wholesale store for more shopping!

In downtown Lancaster we checked out the Heritage Museum where they have an old printing press still in operation.

My husband Ben did his part to give me some free advertising:

The next day was spent exploring the backroads of Lancaster county.

We found an Amish store:

And lots of other amazing shops, like this converted barn near Strasburg:

And the best quilt shops:


Today was Mother's Day and we drove down to Cape May, New Jersey where the beaches are lined with buildings like this:


And I got to wade in the Atlantic.


Happy Mother's Day, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Cheryl! Wow, what a trip! I think I could die in any one of the rooms in the home/building in Cape May...

    Blessings, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on my dream vacation. Thanks for the photos so that I can live it through you!! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I was very surprised to see the Amish store. I guess I thought they just shopped for their fabrics where everyone else does only limiting themselves to the approved colors. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete