Friday, April 23, 2010

Inch by Inch, Row by Row Part 2

Okay, so the first quarter of my quilt top is up on my design wall. I've sewn the pieces within each four-patch together, but haven't yet stitched the blocks into rows. I leave this until the entire quilt top is laid out on the wall and I'm happy with the total arrangement. So now I start assembling the bottom right corner of the quilt top.
This part goes a bit quicker since I'm just doing the reverse of the first quarter.
As I go, I graph the individual four-patch blocks and keep track of how many of each type I need to make. I check and double-check my figures to make sure when I write up the pattern, that it will be accurate.
The second quarter is now on my design wall and the bottom half of the quilt top is visible. Notice that when the medium-colored squares and diamonds intersect with each other a darker triangle is formed? How cool is that?
After I choose the fabrics out of my bins, I keep them next to me on the table. I know which fabrics work in this design which saves me some decision-making time and sometimes I find fabrics in my bins which I've forgotten were there. Of course, now the fabric pile on my table is a bit overwhelming!

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Love seeing your process on the quilt.
    I don't know if my brain could keep track of the light and dark shadows and all those pieces. I am glad there are designers like you who make wonderful patterns I can make myself.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete